Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing #20: YouTube and TeacherTube

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YouTube! I've been a fan of it for a while now, but never really thought of using it for teaching purposes. I used to teach 8th graders, so I heard about YouTube and MySpace before they became household words. I can spend hours looking up cool stuff, most of it music related or humorous. There are some really talented people out there, and how wonderful that they now have an avenue to publish their work. Makes it easier for those of us who AREN'T talented, too, because now we don't have to try to reinvent the wheel when we aren't inventors!

I searched YouTube for librarians and found some funny stuff. I particulary liked a video of "The Librarian Song," but I couldn't get it embedded because for some reason the entire code wouldn't paste into blogger. Grrrrr.... If you want to see it, go to YouTube and search "librarian song."

I'd like to see YouTube opened up in the district. Yes, there's inappropriate material that kids can access, and it will require more diligence from us, but really, shouldn't we be teaching kids to be responsible internet consumers?


TeacherTube is fabulous. I plan to use it often this year. Here's a photostory that shows the life cycle of a butterfly. I like it because it's simple, colorful, and of good graphic quality. I chose to embed it with the TeacherTube search bar.


1 comment:

VWB said...

that is a nice simple, straightforward piece of info...might pass it along to a certain teacher I know...can't remember where that is part of her curriculum or not!