Saturday, June 7, 2008

Back on the Playground

I ended up taking a time-out last time because I was so bogged down with other committments...such as work, family, and 6 semester hours of grad school. But I'm back and ready to play!

Here's a summary of what I did the last time I played:

Thing 5: Flickr

Flickr is a photo-sharing site where people can upload, store, and share (if they want) their digital photos. I got a little peeved that I couldn't transfer MY personal photos from another photo-sharing site, but the personal uses are not really important here. The important thing is that Flickr gives people a library of photos to choose from for various purposes and projects. I'm still a little confused about what I can use and what I can't, though, despite the explanations in Flickr Creative Commons. I created a Memorial Day Tribute Animoto using Flickr photos, but I'm hesitant to post it anywhere for fear I've misunderstood the copyright rules on the photos.

Thing 6: Mashups, etc.

Mashups take two applications and "mash" them together to create a new application. For example, combine Flickr with Googe Maps and get an application that track photos by where they were taken.

Now on to Thing Seven.

No comments: