Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thing #10: Image Generators

First, let us celebrate...
My first double-digit Thing! WOO HOO!

I had to explore it in several sittings because this Thing overstimulated me like an espresso nightcap! So many options as far as what TYPE of image generator and then even more options within each one. Whew! I turned my son into Indiana Jones and created a National Geographic magazine cover with owls using the comic strip generator tool, and I put this mosaic together at Big Huge Labs simply by using Flickr tags.


Oh! And I created an irreverent little cartoon with Abe Lincoln asking for the location of the nearest Starbucks (comic strip generator). I won't share it, though. :-) I did notice that with the comic strip tool, many of the options weren't "kid-friendly."

These image generators are a great way for students to express themselves creatively on a variety of topics. It also requires them to sort/categorize, etc.

7 comments:

Grendel said...

Great mosaic! I looked at your bookshelf and saw The Thirteenth Tale. I listened to this book on the way home from Dallas one time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, although the actress/reader made me think our bookshop owner's daughter was more than a bit odd as well as being a whiny-baby. But, I couldn't stop listening so it fulfilled its mission!

Judy B-song said...

O.K. Infogoddess,
You are just too much. I am so impressed with your mosiac. I don't even want to know how long it took you to put it together. Maybe you had more than one really strong espresso? You are very talented. Please don't look at the cartoon I made. I think you need to move to the advanced playground!

LKP said...

I loved the Mosaic too! And I wish you would have shared your Abe cartoon --- remember this is for having fun too!!!

Mimi's Moments said...

Loved your image. I am also glad to get into the double digits, although I didn't think it was going to come together today. I would also like to know about the Abe cartoon-very mysterious.

Jodi Pendarvis said...

Grendel,
It's interesting that you say that about the actress/reader. It makes me wonder how much a reader's take on the text can influence our own view. I wonder if you would've come to the same conclusions if you'd been reading the text version. Truth be told, I read this book last summer, and although I remember enjoying it immensely, I couldn't speak knowledgeably about the characterizations in it if I had to. Thanks for commenting and making me think!

Jodi Pendarvis said...

Judy B-Song,
The mosaic took no time at all. I clicked that I wanted to make one, typed in "books, libraries" as the picture tags, and boom! It was all done for me.

goal23 said...

You sure got the hang of it! It looks like you are a very creative and organized person. The mosaic you put together looks great!