Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing #13: Exploring Del.icio.us and Tagging

Del.icio.us is awesome! I'm such a dunce. I'd heard so much about it that I actually created an account several weeks ago, but I still didn't really understand how to use it. I've been saving favorite websites just like I used to do with Favorites in IE or bookmarking in Netscape. I couldn't figure out why I'd want to use it over those tools already built in to my web browser. DUH. Double DUH. *slaps forehead*

It's the TAGGING and ability to connect to what other people are also saving. You see, I thought of the tagging as just for me, so I could categorize MY stuff for MY benefit in finding it later. Hello? McFly? Now that I realize it's about searching the tags of other Del.icio.us users, I see the limitless possibilities. The only thing I don't like about tagging is the extra time it takes upfront. I don't always have the "get-up-and-go" to tag the things I'm saving. Or at least that was true up until now. Now that I see what a benefit it can be...well, it seems little effort. I like the way Del.icio.us gives suggestions for tags. I didn't see that at Furl, but I did like Furl's interface. I have both of them and I'm still experimenting with both to see which one I'll eventually start using exclusively.

The tutorial video for Del.icio.us was helpful, for sure, but I really had to concentrate. I felt it was over my head sometimes. I got the gist of it, though. I like the idea of using a tagging tool like Del.icio.us or Furl for shared reading lists. I can see students doing research and tagging good information so that other students researching the same topic can easily find it. Especially if they use a specific unique tag. I'll use the infamous second grade bird unit as an example. All of second grade is researching different kinds of birds. Student A in Mrs. Smith's class has chosen the hummingbird as her topic, and she finds a good article about hummingbirds. If she tags it with the template type of bird-school's name, then other students researching hummingbirds in the other second grade classes can find it. It's collaboration across the classes or even across the district. Not only are the students working to find information for themselves, but they are building a "toolbox" for others. I love it.

As for myself, personally, I found some neat stuff on vintage crochet, which has become my latest interest, especially doilies. I'm amazed by how "small" our world is becoming with our ability to connect with other people and their interests from across the world.

2 comments:

Grendel said...

You are not alone. I had the same, double-duh, slaps forehead experience. Triple whammy. As for vintage crochet, I used to make those doilies when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I guess by now they WOULD qualify as vintage crochet :(

Jodi Pendarvis said...

Doilies! Omigosh, I've learned I don't have the patience (mostly fortitude!) for the tiny stitches involved. I'm thinking of investing in a magnifier--and probably some arthritis medication soon. :)