Sunday, June 8, 2008

Thing #8: RSS Feeds and Readers

I've had a Google Reader account for a while now. I admit, it's nice to have all my "stuff" I want to keep up with in one place. However, sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I log in and there are 50+ new things. I feel obligated to read each and every one of them, yet I know I probably won't have the time to do it. If I could only bring myself to hit the "mark as read" button every once in a while, but...if it's there in front of me, I feel I have to read it. I could spend hours just reading blogs and news feeds. I know that some of you feel that Reader helps you LIMIT what you end up reading, but for me, it seems the opposite.

Personally, I can use it to keep up with crochet sites, history sites, my friends' blogs, and what's up-and-coming with all my favorite authors. Professionally, it helps me stay current in my field. I can see my students using it, too. Imagine they are studying a particular topic or skill for a long-term project. They could each find sites pertinent to their topic and create Google reader folders for it...keep track of what's new over time. I'd like to teach my students to use it for their own personal interests, too.

I have a question: Is there a blog directory out there? If I'm interested in American Civil War re-enacting, for instance...is there a place I can go and see all the blogs out there that pertain to that interest? It would be nice if there were, but if not, could a library set up readers for the areas that interest their patrons?

2 comments:

Mrs. Frizzle said...

Google has a blog search. Go to
http://blogsearch.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wb

or go to www.google.com and click on more and then click blogs!

Good Luck!
www.bookmark4life.blogspot.com

Jodi Pendarvis said...

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that one when I was checking out Google, but then again, there was so much that Google offered, I was a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks again!